Saturday, January 5, 2013

Easy Crockpot Corn Bean Soup

Over the years since Bob has dealt with heart issues I have tried to cook heart healthy meals, but since he just had 5 bypasses due to blocked arteries, it has become even more important, so I am always on the lookout for heart healthy and gluten free  recipes, since I deal with gluten issue.
A few days ago when I was looking for something to fix and didn't want to run to the grocery store I came up with a recipe for crockpot corn bean soup that is super easy, heart healthy and also gluten free.  I actually had the ingredients on hand.  It is a little bit like taco soup, but not quite as spicy, but you can make it as spicy as you like.

Easy Crockpot Corn Bean Soup
 
1 lb. of extra lean ground beef
1 med. chopped onion
1 stalk chopped celery
1 14 or 15 oz. can butter beans
1          "                northern beans
1          "                green beans
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 large carton gf beef broth
1 can mild or spicy rotel
1/2 or whole pkg of taco seasoning.  I used a half of package because of the high sodium in it.
 
You brown the meat, onion, and celery, drain if needed,  put this mixture in the crockpot, adding all the rest of the ingredients, stirring well, then cook on high if you want it fairly quickly or low setting if you want it to simmer for awhile.  I actually did cook mine in a pot on top of the stove, and heated the leftovers in my crockpot. 
We had it with lowfat shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips on the side.
Double the recipe if you want several days of leftovers.
I did not put any salt in it as I salt my food now on my plate since Bob is on a low sodium diet, so you can season with salt and pepper to your taste.

 
 
 

  

2 comments: